Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sunday, July 6, 2008 (Halifax Harbor).

Thanks to Bill Campbell, whom we’ve yet to meet, for arranging a great spot to dock. We were along side the same wharf as RCHMS Sackville of WWII fighting fame and the Maritime Museum. More importantly, we were on the waterfront promenade and within a two block stumble from the Argyle Street bars and restaurants. The Wooden Monkey, Economy Shoe, Opa, The Argyle and Maxwell’s Plum all showed us Canadian hospitality.

But the beauty of Halifax was shown to us by Andy and Jane Seaman who picked us up in their new trawler at 4:30 Sunday afternoon for a cruise down the Harbor and into Northwest Arm. After a tour of the Royal Nova Scotia and Armdale yacht clubs, we picked up their mooring and had a fabulous meal (and great strawberry shortcake) aboard Arcadian’s Sun. It was truly being made to feel at home and we all now feel that we are no longer tourists in Canada, but part of the family.

Skipping Shelbourne, put us two days ahead of schedule. As a result, we’ve decided to break up Leg Three to Louisbourg into three day trips. Monday to Owls Head bay near Ships Harbor and Liscombe. Tuesday to Port Howe near Dover. Wednesday into Louisbourg. Almost like being on vacation.

[GEORGE] Well, let me tell you, this first leg was a charmer. Whale close enough [almost did] touch, dolphins playing two foot abeam, great sailing and fantastic company. If I had to depart in Halifax I would be happy; every second I seem to have a smile on my face and a song in my heart. This is truly wonderful.

Day sail to Owl’s Head Bay just an amazing sail, good wind some fog, not too bad at all. Another great run, enjoying the bay looking forward to the rest of this wonderful experience.

[TESS] Well, they’ve got it pretty close. In fact, Thursday to Saturday was a bit of a blur – a sleep-induced blur as the men-folk grabbed naps in short but snorey stints, and I stumbled to the galley to prepare a meal, then stumble back to the captain’s berth with a new electronic anti-sea-sickness wrist band spasing into my flesh to abet the stugeron. I increased the stugeron, and finally tore off the damn torture device and slept through most of the passage safe as a bug in a rug. It is pretty wonderful to know these guys are taking care, paying close attention to the details, and then when off duty sounding a bit like Moe, Larry and Curly. Our visit with Andy and Jane was sublime. Sunset in gold and coral hues over silver water, excellent dinner, warm friendship – extended thanks to the gracious forethought of Pete and Anita Aubin of “I’m retired now, and my schedule is too full of fun to even try to think of more fun” fame.

Boat is clean, full of water and gold – I mean diesel – and we’re ready to sit down to a sunset dinner in a spot secluded from all but the most discriminating. Really, I love this (I miss my home, family and friends) I love this (I miss my home, family and friends) I ….you get it…that’s my mantra for now!

[TIM] Can’t write too much because Tess is feeding us yet again real soon. Just let me say this has been a great trip. Yes we have had some fog and we almost hit a whale and we can’t catch a fish because we have no bait but WE BE SAILING!
Ps I Love You Paula.

No comments: